March 18, 2015

U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil RightsLyndon Baines Johnson, Dept. of Education Bldg.400 Maryland Avenue, SWWashington, DC 20202-1100

RE: Great Lakes Education Corporation & Affiliates2401 International LaneMadison, WI 53704(800) 236-4300

Dear Representative:

I am writing to your office to request your assistance in getting my request for a Deferment processed. I am uncertain why the Great Lakes Education Corporation refuses to process the (2) requests that I submitted. My first request was mailed on 12/17/2004. I was never contacted with the process of my application and after weeks passed I contacted Great Lakes to ask the status. I was told by their Representative after several minutes that my application was denied and that I was not eligible but was eligible for the Income Driven Repayment Plan (application enclosed). I was led to believe that this was my only option. The Representative told me that she would put a temporary Forbearance until the Income-Driven application was completed and returned. Great Lakes emailed me the application. Enclosed is a copy of the email and application.

Later that day I checked my account with them and it stated that I had other options besides the Income-Driven Repayment Plan. So, I completed another Deferment application because according to the preapproval application, I was eligible for the Deferment. I receive Social Security Disability and had also submitted Social Security Benefit letters informing Great Lakes of my Disability earnings on both occasions. I faxed the Deferment Request on 2/24/15 at 15:26 From the Madison Library. The Fax did successfully complete the transfer of documents. I never heard back from Great Lakes. So, I sent them an E-mail on approximately 3/12/15. The site stated that I should hear from them within (2) days. After not hearing from them today, I checked the status and it saying that my temporary Forbearance is about to end and that I have to submit some type of application before the Forbearance ends. I’ve submitted two applications and they refuse to process them.

I feel that they are not allowing me to choose other options besides the Income-Driven Repayment Plan. I am not sure if this is due to some type of discrimination but I am asking you to assist me with the matter.

Dawn M. Brown

This reviewer shared experience about "discrimination" and wants this business to "i want my deferment application that i haves contacted great lakes about numerous times and they refuse to respond". The author is overall dissatisfied with Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation. The most disappointing about application from Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation was denying my right of choice Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Financial Services category for more informed decision or compare Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation to other companies on our site.

Comments